We are just two days away from World COPD Day! The COPD Foundation is supporting the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) to help raise global awareness on Nov. 20, 2013. This is a prime opportunity for our community to come together in an effort to educate the masses about a disease that affects over 200 million individuals worldwide.
Here are a few ways to get involved:
- Imagine breathing through a straw. That’s what it is like having COPD. Learn how to protect yourself drive4copd.org. #COPDAwareness
- COPD kills more women than breast cancer and diabetes combined. Have trouble breathing? Go to drive4copd.org today. #COPDAwareness
- World COPD Day is 11/20 – do you know about the third leading cause of death in the US? #COPDAwareness
- Orange is the color of the movement to end COPD. RT if you or someone you know lives with this disease. @DRIVE4COPD #COPDAwareness
- Repost if you or someone you know lives w/ COPD. Let’s find a cure for a disease that claims a life every 4 mins. #COPDAwareness
Participate in the COPD Twitter chat on November 19 from 1-2 pm EST. We will be joined by representatives from the American Lung Association, the Centers for Disease Control, and NHLBI’s COPD Learn More Breathe Better campaign. Use #COPD to join the conversation!
3. Request a pad of Cure 4 COPD Pinwheel cutouts that can be sold at your office, school, cafeteria, etc. for $1-$5 and hang them with the donor’s name written on it. Pinwheel cutouts covering your wall will not only raise funds needed to work on the cure, but will remind everyone it is COPD Awareness Month.
E-mail FUNdraising@copdfoundation.org to make a request for a free pad of Cure 4 COPD Pinwheel cutouts.
Visit the COPD ACTION CENTER. All on one website you can:
- Become a STATE ADVOCACY CAPTAIN (it’s really easy!)
- Send pre-written ADVOCACY LETTERS to your representatives
- Look up CONTACT INFORMATION for your local, state, and national representatives.
- Sign up to RECEIVE ACTION ALERTS so you know when Congress is dealing with COPD legislation.
- EMAIL YOUR FRIENDS about the Action Center.
- FIND LOCAL NEWSPAPERS to write to about COPD.
- Learn more about COPD LEGISLATION.
- Learn how to EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE with members with tips on scheduling meetings, writing letters, or making phone calls